Nootropics are an important biohacking supplement. These smart drugs have been thought to be controversial by some as is it harmful to your brain or beneficial? Find out more about these supplements that help to boost your brains performance.
Table of Contents
History of Nootropics
- Origins of the word nootropic: Greek root noos for mind and trepein for toward
- Drugs along this line aim selectively at the noetic functions (relating to neocortical mental activity, cognition or the intellect)
- Discovered in 1964 by Dr Corneliu Giurgea at UCB
- Famous quote: “Man is not going to wait passively for millions of years before evolution offers him a better brain.”
- Was experimenting with GABA pathways in the brain & discovered Piracetam, also called Nootropil®
- He wrote the 1983 paper “The nootropic concept and its prospective implications“
- Discovered cognitive benefits to patients with epilepsy and post-concussion patients
- Caffeine, Modafinil and L-Theanine are considered smart drugs
- Piracetam, aniracetam, and Levitiracetam are considered nootropics
Listen to Dave talk with CILTEP inventor, Abelard Lindsay on Bulletproof Radio episode #82 about stacking and what all the different substances can do for your memory, sleep and focus.
Here is the mp3 version:
If you’d like to try biohack your brain function a memory supplement recommended by Dave is called Alpha BRAIN™. This supplement falls under the nootropic category, which basically means it could improve mental functions such as: memory, cognition, motivation, intelligence, attention, and concentration ability.
Alpha BRAIN™ is not a pharmaceutical drug, but rather a combination of neurological specific vitamins, herbs and the registered propriety AC-11® which is a powerful DNA repair antioxidant.
Those giving positive testimonials and reviews of its brain enhancing abilities include medical professional like: Dr Dan Engle, MD (Psychiatrist) and Dr Martin Lazar, MD (Neurosurgeon); and celebrities like Whitney Miller (Miss USA 2012), Michelle Waterson (MMA 105lb champion).
Smart Drugs Book
You can get the kindle book Brain Boosters : Foods & Drugs That Make You Smarter by Potter and Orfali as a easy to digest reading reference and guide to the world of smart drugs dosages and other brain enhancing substances like vitamins, minerals, herbs, food etc…
Bulletproof Nootropic Products
Dave has a selection of four brain enhancing supplements for us to take:
Dave Asprey on Modafinil
Why The Bulletproof Exec Uses Provigil. If you haven’t heard of the Low Carb Cruise before it is organised and hosted by the famous low carbohydrate diet advocate, Jimmy Moore. On the sea cruise around the Caribbean islands this year in 2013, Howard Harkness interviewed Dave about his early life and his various biohacking tools.
The eugeroic class of medications help improves wakefulness and alertness, and reduces tiredness, drowsiness, and the need for sleep. Dave has always been open about his use of both natural and pharmaceutical drugs to enhance brain performance and cognitive thinking to better control stress levels.